Thursday 20 March 2014

Etin

I don't know who (if anyone) reads this, I mean, I barely post, ever, the reality is that my life is just not the sort of exciting, roller coaster, whirlwind life most serious bloggers seem lead.

And that's ok.

I seek a quieter more secluded pace, I'm much happier staying indoors with a reference manual and Vim.

It was during one of those days that an idea came to me, I have, for the longest time, wanted to build cool things, if I may be so open, as a child, my dream was to be, as I called it, 'an inventor'.

This... seemed impossible, I disliked studying pure Mathematics and the physics/chemistry/biology combination they taught in Science class couldn't hold my attention. That was, until I got my teeth seriously into computer science.

I wanted to be the next Apple, even started my own computer company, I created a simple but rather function programming editor, like TextMate, but for Linux. In the end however, all I ever did was remove the odd virus from a Windows machine once a week, I shut up shop just a year after opening.

It's not enough to write software that only I use, it never becomes anything beyond my limited sight. There's something about users who complain and show you exactly what isn't working and why it needs to be fixed. Something about those who want to tinker with the device, who break it open and find ways to make it do things I couldn't have anticipated or even if I wouldn't use, is still pretty damn cool.

Over the last two weeks, an idea has been forming in my mind, one that I've actively been working on.

Frankly, I don't want to reveal too much right now, I want to have more to demonstrate first, what I will say is that it involves a Raspberry Pi, Music, the web and is called 'Etin'.

So... really that's it for now. I hope that I'll have the chance to do more, I spend my evenings and weekends working on it and I've got 5 people who are willing to test what I have, which is great, but for now, I'll have to first finish the software and scrape together enough money to build a handful of prototype devices.

Stay tuned, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment